Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ten Months!


That's it I've found it. The key to happiness, the key to a smile, is watching Collin clap. Cutest thing ever. When he did it the first time, Mike and I immediately clapped vigorously back. He squealed and repeated. Probably thinking, my crazy parents are so easily amused.

Besides clapping, at 10 months Collin is a mad cruiser and attempts to climb. I can tell this kid is going to be a risk taker. Like his birth sign proclaims, he is a fiery one. He's still doing great in day care and even made a little friend--11 month old Elise.

After talking to our early intervention hearing specialist, we decided to retire the hearing aid for a while. Because of the neuropathy in the ear with the loss, it may be amplifying the static noises that his brain processes (which would be annoying in the very least). It's such a rare disorder that no one can really tell us if the hearing aid is beneficial at this stage. Since he's developing right on track communication wise (loves to hear his voice and babbles, localizes and reacts to sounds), we decided that it's probably not necessary at this point. We also couldn't tell any difference with the aid. Collin will continue to get periodic hearing tests to monitor any changes and early intervention services for speech. We're confident he'll be just fine and hopefully things will get more clear in the future on what we can do to best help him.

It's surreal that in two months Collin will have been on this planet for a year and Mike and I survived as parents. I feel so lucky to share my life with this little person that has the biggest smile and the sweetest laugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know, how crazy is it that they will be a year soon? I remember when Aidan was little and how my world changed just having him around. The laughs and smiles, the huge crocodile tears. The giving in in ways that I said that I never would :)It really changes you and makes everything so much bigger and brighter in the best way possible. You see the world in a way that you never really got to remember enjoying, you know? The butterflies and grass seem so much more beautiful and you can feel the texture and enjoy the simple things that you might have passed by in our adult world. I am so lucky to have Aidan, Michael and Zander. I love waking up to a sea of faces packed into bed with me and just want to shout at the top of my lungs "I'm the luckiest girl int he world!!!!"

Alyssa said...

Yup you said it, exactly! Having a baby makes me appreciate all the little stuff I took for granted before.